At some time or another in our lives, we’re very likely going to end up in a comfort zone. But sooner or later you’re going to need to get up and move on. Staying in your comfort zone for too long can become a cage that you no longer want to stay in. You’ll need to grow and change if you ever want to realize your dreams. Only by pushing yourself will you ever realize your goals.
What’s even more enjoyable is knowing that the sheer act of moving outside your comfort zone not only pushes you forward but that the very act of leaving the comfort zone will teach you things you’d never find out otherwise.
1. You can finally see your comfort zone for what it is. By taking a step away from your comfort zone, you have the opportunity to discover just what it was that created that comfort zone in the first place. What things are holding you back, and why? The process of moving beyond
that comfort zone is going to mean putting in some work. You start by asking yourself some questions. Things like:
• What do I find easy?
• What do I find hard?
• What do I avoid? Why?
• What things make me a little bit scared? Why?
2. You learn to embrace change. Yes, embrace. Too often we think of change as a bad thing, but change is what challenges us to grow. By stepping out of your comfort zone, you’re saying that you’re ready for a change.
3. We find that we’re capable of more than we thought we were. By trying new things, you find new things that you’re good at. Also, by confronting the things we were afraid of, we remove those fears and can then add those items to our repertoire.
Think about it. Maybe your old life, you never once did public speaking if you could help it. But now that you’re stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things (like joining Toastmasters) you’re learning a new skill, and erasing that fear that kept you from talking in front of people. Now your new life includes an ability to do public speaking that you never had before. Imagine how many doors that opens in your life!
4. You discover your inner superhero. By stepping outside your comfort zone, you find out just how much you’re capable of. The you that you’re destined to be is a pretty amazing person – one that’s strong and self-assured. That kind of confidence makes anyone a superhero!
Moving outside your comfort zone is an exciting process, that can teach you things about yourself that you never knew. Believe it or not, all of this starts with just taking one small chance and then going from there. Challenge your comfort zone, change your life.